So, following the instructions in this video, I made this new vermicomposting bin for my office! I have had a home worm bin for a year now, but when I noticed all the organic scraps my office produced that were just going into the garbage, I decided to start up a new one. My home bin is wood, so this time I decided to give plastic a try.
This is the completed bin. It is simply two Rubbermaid tubs (the bottom one collects any fluid that drains from the top one, so the worms don’t drown).
I used a 1/2 inch drill bit to drill the air holes, and a 1/8 drill bit for the drainage holes. My friend Jody gave me some leftover plastic window screen that I cut up and glued over the air holes so fruit flies can’t get in.
Then, I add cut up some corrugated cardboard strips, which makes excellent bedding.
Then some newspaper strips. Next week when I add the worms, I will wet down the bedding. The bedding will eventually get eaten by the worms, and I will have to add more in a couple months.
More photos to come next week when I transplant some worms from my other bin into their new home!